Thursday, September 28, 2006

William A. Lewis, Chief Assistant State Attorney

I received a letter from Chief Assistant State Attorney Lewis advising me that the SAO's response to my Public Records Request consists of 2 pages and 1 VHS tape. I filed my PRR with State Attorney Meadows office to see what, if anything, he had done. In any case, there's usually at least a file and some notes. Meadows did absolutely nothing, except possibly "delete" my two earlier letters, even though I sent him more than enough evidence for a preliminary investigation. At any rate, I mailed his Assistant State Attorney a thank you note and asked him directly: Does the SAO have a legal duty to address my charges? I've pasted in my letter below.

September 26, 2006

William A. Lewis, Chief Assistant State Attorney,
State Attorney's Office
P.O. Box 1040
Panama City, FL 32402
Fax: 850-747-5863.

Dear Mr. Lewis,

Thank you for your September 21, 2006 letter. The $3.38 fee suggests that the SAO’s response to my Public Records Request will consist of the 2 pages of my Sept. 26, 2205 letter and a copy of the accompanying videocassette and no other records whatsoever. As a reminder, I requested the following in my FL Public Record Request:

Pursuant to Article I, section 24, of the Florida Constitution, and Chapter 119,F.S, I am requesting the following regarding my letters, dated May 13, 2005, June 18, 2005, and September 26, 2005 (which also included a videocassette), to Florida State Attorney Steve Meadows reporting Florida law enforcement misconduct and supplying evidence as advised by Gov. Jeb Bush:

1) Copies of the above referenced letters retained by your office and any and all case files, documents, and records related to or associated with my letters, including emails; and,
2) Copy of any referrals, inquiries, or discussions regarding my above referenced letters to and with any other state agency, such as the FDLE, or federal agency; and,
3) Copy of any replies, including emails or any telephonic references, to any referral or inquiry by you or your office from any other state agency, such as the FDLE, or federal agency regarding my above referenced letters and videocassette.

The USPS verified that your office received both my certified May 13, 2005 and June 18, 2005 letters; yet, a search of your records apparently didn’t reveal them or any case related documents. For your convenience, I’ve enclosed both copies of these letters as well as the email associated with my June 18, 2005 one. Unfortunately, I still haven’t received any reply from the SAO regarding my charges or evidence that I supplied per Gov. Jeb Bush’s suggestion. Does the SAO have a legal duty to address my charges? Please respond by Oct. 11, 2006. Thank you.

Sincerely,


Joe Keegan

No comments: