Wednesday, June 20, 2007

USPS PRIORITY MAIL

About 25 minutes or so ago, I checked my gmail account. On top of my messages was one from "USPS PRIORITY MAIL" and peripherally I noticed that the time received was 3:20 something or other, so it recently arrived. Without paying any attention, I clicked on it to open the message. What happened was instead of opening as usual the message disappeared. I haven't the slightest idea what happened. I checked the other folders, trash, spam, etc., and nothing. I even signed out and then signed in again hoping that the message would reappear. It didn't.

I've received email in the past that also disappeared, but not until I read, copied, printed, and closed it. I didn't even get a chance to read this one, which may have been a reply to a question that I sent the USPS sometime Sunday. I went to their website and filled out the form asking them if a "arrived at unit" means the same as "delivered." I PRIORITY MAILED (with proof of delivery) the FBI on Thursday an envelope. I checked "Track and Confirm" on USPS's website Friday and everyday since, and all that I got was:

"Search Results

Label/Receipt Number: 0307 0020 0004 6108 7729
Status: Arrival at Unit

Your item arrived at 8:07 AM on June 16, 2007 in JACKSONVILLE, FL 32211. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

I just checked USPS's website a short time ago and that was the same message. I asked the USPS if "arrived at" is the same as "delivered." In the past, I always got a "delivered" message, and usually within 2 or 3 days. It's been 5 days and I still don't get any indication that my envelope has been delivered. Is it hung up or misplaced somewhere in the Jacksonville PO? I hope not. At any rate, I notified the FBI that I sent them some important evidence and also had the "Track & Confirm" updates sent to them. To save time, I included some of the stuff in my emails to the FBI. I've had the USPS lose CERTIFIED RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED mail in the past, so this doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is the disappearing email that I received from whomever sent it.

No comments: