Thursday, April 16, 2009

Early Morning Visitor

I woke up sometime between 2:00 and 2:30 a.m. this morning, Thursday, April 16, 2009. I was wide awake and, instead, of trying to get back to sleep, I got up, went to the den, turned on the light and then the pc to "surf the internet." I hadn't even got on-line (dial-up)when I heard the car door shut outside. The car is in the driveway about 15 feet from the den. The den window was opened. I ran for the door, but stopped to search for the flashlight. When I got out, I headed south, because it's the easiest way to access the property and I figured that's the direction whoever shut the door would run. It may have been a mistake, however. I didn't find anyone. The house is located about 1/4 mile off a dirt road back in the woods. It's easiest to access it from the south via the driveway. I looked around for about 10 minutes and figured that whoever shut the car door was gone or else I couldn't find him.

When I returned to the car, I shined the flashlight in the interior and didn't notice anything. I then went in, got the key, came back, and started the car. It started. I only lock the car- sophisticated security security- when I'm out and about, and, rarely, if ever lock it at home. So, naturally, I decided to lock it after the fact and pressed the key immobilizer lock button, which locks the car. And, that's when I noticed the security indicator light blinking. Someone may have slipped another key into the ignition in order to start it. I doubt that the person was a cop, because whoever it was knew about cars and was familiar with the area. However, he now realizes that there's a transponder in the key that has to match or else the vehicle won't start. So what was the motive? To steal it or disable the security alarm? As I've said, the house is located 1/4 mile back in the woods and the gate's locked every night, but that's not a big deal. They cut the chain before and they could also jimmy the lock. I also intend to search the vehicle later this morning for illegal contraband.

No comments: